There have been numerous sightings of these new types of vehicles out and about in the City of Glendora. One of the reasons could be that one of the main vendors for GEM electric vehicles is here in our City. They are a great source of transportation, but there are rules that they must follow while on the road. According to the California Vehicle Code, the GEM electric vehicle is defined as a “low speed vehicle.”
Electric vehicles operators:
- All operators must have at least a Class “C” California license or provisional license.
Electric vehicles must have:
- Current registration and insurance to operate vehicles on the roadway.
- All safety equipment, seat belts and required lighting equipment.
- If you have questions regarding the equipment, ask your sales person.
The Electric Vehicle operation:
- The operator of a low-speed vehicle shall not operate the vehicle on any roadway with a speed limit in excess of 35 miles per hour.
- The operator of a low-speed vehicle may cross a roadway with a speed limit in excess of 35 miles per hour if the crossing begins and ends on a roadway with a speed limit of 35 miles per hour or less and occurs at an intersection of approximately 90 degrees.
- A person operating a low speed vehicle upon a roadway at a speed less than the normal speed of traffic moving in the same direction at that time, shall ride as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway, allowing traffic to pass.
Low Speed Vehicle Sections Link
Link to GEM Vehicles