Green Building is the design and construction practices that take sustainability into consideration. Sustainability means meeting our needs in the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their needs. Green buildings are designed in an integrated manner to be responsive to the local conditions, and to use environmental resources wisely.
Green buildings are designed, built, and operated with the following objectives:
- Conservation of energy and water
- Use of materials in an efficient manner
- Maintenance of a healthy environment to include good indoor air quality
- Durability and ease of maintenance
- Integration with the site and its neighborhood
It's Easy to Be Green!
- Replacing every 75 watt light bulb with energy efficient bulbs can prevent one ton of carbon dioxide that is released in the air!
- By turning down your central heating thermostat one degree, fuel consumption is cut by as much as 10%!
- Keep the Heat In! During the heating season, keep the draperies and shades on your south facing windows open during the day to allow the sunlight to enter your home and closed at night to reduce the chill you may feel from cold windows.
- Turn down your water heater. Lower the thermostat on your hot water heater to 120* F.
Click on the links for tips on how to save the environment and your wallet from the effects of global warming.