Books In The Library
- California Missions: Projects and Layouts (Call number J 979.4 Projects)
Contains information on how to construct models of the missions using various materials.
- California Missions (Call number J 979.4)
This series gives a history and description of each of the missions. The set is divided geographically, containing three or four missions per book. Photographs of the missions are included.
- The Missions: California's Heritage (Call number J 979.4 Boule)
Each tan, pamphlet-sized book contains a history of the mission, drawings and sketches of the mission, and what the mission is like today. Also included are brief histories of the California Missions and Father Serra.
- The Missions of California (Call number J 979.4 Mission)
Each book contains an explanation of the mission system, the Indians who lived in the area of the mission, a history of the founding of the mission, a description of life at the mission and what the mission is like today. There is also information about how to create a model of the mission. Color photographs throughout give the reader a visual sense of the mission.
ONLINE Mission Information:
- California Missions database - This is an electronic version of The Missions of California book series. Each page of the book appears on the computer screen exactly as it looks in paper form. All books are accessible from home through the Glendora Library Web site.
- California Mission Studies Association - The California Mission Studies Association provides links to sites about the California missions. Links to items of related interest, such as Native Californians, adobes, presidios, pueblos and ranchos are also included.
- Calisphere - This site is especially valuable for its visual collection. There are thousands of unique pictures and drawings of California Missions as well as of other primary source documents from the Mission time period. Select "M" (for "Mission") in the "Browse A-Z" section to find the name of a particular Mission.
Last updated: 7/17/2010 8:59:52 AM