Planning Banner

Zoning For Homeowners


Shortcuts to Documents

Shortcuts to Topics

Glendora Municipal Code

Determining Your Zoning

Glendora has several different single-family residential zones, each with different requirements.  The zoning map shows the zoning designation of every property.

Determining Your Property Lines

Property dimensions are usually visible on parcel maps available from the Los Angeles County Assessor.  To determine the exact location of your property lines with certainty, you must hire a licensed surveyor to survey your property.

Building Permit History

The building permit files for all properties in Glendora are available for public viewing in the Building Division.

Additions and Remodels

Remodels with no addition of square footage typically only require building permits, which are issued by the Building Division.  The Planning Department will review plans to ensure that all zoning requirements are met.  Additions must comply with all zoning requirements including setbacks and Floor Area Ratio, which determines the maximum size of a house.  This information is available on the single-family summary handout.  All two-story additions require approval from the Planning Commission through the Development Plan Review process.

Accessory Buildings

Recreation rooms, pool houses, storage sheds, detached garages, and other such accessory buildings are allowed in single family zones subject to certain limitations as listed on the single-family summary handout.

Granny Flats / Guest Houses

Granny Flats are known in Glendora as Second Kitchen Units.  These units provide separate and independent living quarters and can be rented out on a long-term basis.  Guest Houses cannot be rented and are intended only for short-term stays by guests of the main house.  The summary handout highlights the differences between Second Kitchen Units and Guest Houses and outlines the requirements for each.

Home-Based Businesses

Home-based businesses, also known as home occupations, are allowed subject to certain restrictions as specified in the Glendora Municipal Code.  A business license issued by the Finance Department is required for all home occupations.

Fences and Walls

In the front yard, fences and walls may be up to 3 feet tall if they are solid, and up to 4 feet tall if they are at least 50% open (such as a picket or wrought iron fence).  It is also allowed to have a 3-foot sold wall or fence with one additional foot of material that is 50% open, for example a solid 3-foot wall with a 1-foot wrought iron fence on top.

In all areas other than the front yard, fences and walls may be up to 6 feet tall and may be solid or open.  For retaining walls, the height of the wall is measured from the higher ground.

Fences and walls that are not retaining dirt do not require a building permit but must comply with the above height limitations.  Retaining walls may require a building permit.  Please contact the Building Division to determine if a permit is required.

RV Parking

Recreational vehicles (RVs) including motorhomes, boats, off-road vehicles, and trailers can only be parked in certain locations.  In general, RVs cannot be parked in any area between the house and the street.  Additional information is available in the RV ordinance and RV handout.


Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.